Moscow is something out of a dream: massive buildings line wide, timeless streets. The place is both accessible and unique - a faraway place in a centralized location. The location makes using points quite easy and there are several options for U.S. residents.
My favorite time to go is summer (July through September), as there is nearly 20 hours of sunlight. The energy at this time is unparalleled as Russians line the streets, eager to be out of the winter cold. While Moscow is the highlight, don't forget to take the train to St. Petersburg for an extra night or two. There is also a unique way to avoid the visa fees, if you have the time.
To get there, the best mile redemptions are directly into Moscow using American, Delta or United miles. See my full breakdown below:
- 60,000 American, Delta or United miles for a round-trip ticket in economy class.
- 100,000 American, 125,000 Delta miles or 140,000 United for a round-trip ticket in business class.
- American tip: Avoid British Airways bookings using AA miles as there are several hundred dollar fuel surcharges. S7 Airlines is a great lower-cost option.
- Delta tip: Aeroflot has a direct, red eye flight from Los Angeles (!).
- Expect $40 to $250 in booking fees, depending on the airline and award type.